GOV OTTI ATTENDS NATIONAL ECONOMIC COUNCIL MEETING IN ABUJA.
Abia State Governor, Dr. Alex Otti OFR, yesterday, attended the 136th meeting of the National Economic Council (NEC) held in the Council Chamber of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The Governor represented by his Deputy, Engr Ikechukwu Emetu had a successful meeting which centered on the nation’s economic affairs and was chaired by the Vice President, Senator Kashim Shettima.
Highlights of the meeting are:
- Presentation of accounts, including; Excess Crude Account, Stabilization Account and Development of Natural Resources Account.
- Categorization of States based on degrees of damage on impact of Flood and Disaster.
- Resolution to develop a road map to be articulated by NEC and the Chairman of Nigeria Governors Forum for intervention. NEMA was directed to provide immediate intervention on relief to affected States.
- Presentation on the Joint Planning Board (JPB) and National Council on Development Planning (NCDP) meetings to enhance economic development at both National and Sub- national levels. This is to advance synergy among Senior Officials from Federal and State Ministries and Agencies charged with budgetting and economic planning as well as the Organized Private Sector (OPS), Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), the Academia and Development Partners to brainstorm on economic development policies for the Nation.
- Presentation of status report on the implementation of Key Resolutions of the 21st Edition of the JPB and NCDP meetings.
- Energy Sufficiency for Sustainable Development: the need for Government at all levels to promote the migration from fossil fuel to gas; States to determine energy needs based on their comparative advantage and develop small hydropower plants and solar usage for communities and MSMEs.
- Approved regular interaction and synergy among Commissioners of Economic Planning across the federation.
- Presentation on the Presidential Committee on Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms.
- Updates on palliative distribution across the States.
- Appeal to Organized Labour to shelve planned strike.
Some of the governors present are those of Osun, Lagos, Kaduna, Adamawa, Rivers, Benue, Sokoto, Delta, Ebonyi, Taraba, Nasarawa and the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory among others.
Chukwudi Eke Mba
Chief Press Secretary to the Deputy Governor, Abia State